Kullindi Homestead

History

In 1878 Jacob Ellmoos came to Australia from the Village of Holstrup, Denmark. Jacob then a seaman left his ship at Port Adelaide and walked overland to Sydney from where he acquired a boat in which he sailed south, fishing as he went.

From his base at Cape St. George lighthouse Jacob explored the local area and on an excursion crossed the bar at the entrance to Sussex Inlet finding a rare combination of good fishing grounds and natural unspoiled beauty. Impressed with the area Jacob selected and was granted 100 acres of land on northern bank of the Inlet, this marked the beginning of an unbroken family association with the area that continues to the present day.

Jacob relayed his enthusiasm to his family in Denmark and by 1886 all family members had arrived at Sussex Inlet included his parents Christian and Louise and the children Niels, Christian Junior, Marie, Wilhelmina, Louise, Anna, Lorenz and Thomas.

United once again the entire family commenced the establishment of their new home and livelihood, building timber dwellings, clearing the land for crops, raising livestock and fishing for the Sydney market. It was a pioneer existence, building material was cut from the bush or dragged overland from the wrecks in Wreck Bay, the fish were taken across the bar at Sussex Inlet and to sea then transferred to small coastal steamers making their way to Sydney.

In 1890 the family opened a guesthouse on the northern bank of Sussex Inlet.

Operating a business in a remote area was a brave venture, without road access visitors first travelled by Cob & Co. coach from the railhead at Bomadery to Pelican Point on St Georges Basin and then by open sailing boat across the Basin to their destination.

In 1915 the area was changed to a territory enable to the National Capital Canberra to have access to the sea. The management of the guesthouse was handed down to respective family members, Thomas and wife Jessie on retirement moved to their new home now known as "Kullindi Homestead" a building north of the guesthouse and within the "Ellmoos Family Settlement" the business was operated by Norma Mould (daughter of Thomas and Jessie) and now by Tony & Sandie Mould.

Complete details of the family history are available on request.

Click here to book or make an enquiry